Welcome to Verra’s April Newsletter.
At the outset, we want to acknowledge that the unprecedented growth of the carbon market has prolonged processing times for project listings, project registrations, and credit issuances in Verra’s Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program. We are aware that this has caused some frustration among our stakeholders.
We’ve prepared an announcement identifying how we are addressing these issues. In brief, we are:
- Supporting and strengthening the capacity of VVBs;
- Streamlining the work of staff members responsible for processing listings, registrations, and issuances;
- Implementing new tools to track incoming project review requests.
These changes are aimed at swiftly clearing the current backlog and ensuring prompt processing times in the future. Read our full announcement “Pardon Our Dust”.
In other news, we’ve launched a consultation for updates to the VCS AUDD methodologies, and the first credits have been issued in Verra’s Plastic Waste Reduction Program.
Finally, it was good to connect with many of you at the recent North American Carbon World conference. Thank you to the organizer, Climate Action Reserve. We hope that improving conditions will enable more in-person meetings in the coming months.
- Updates to the VCS Version 4
- Press Release: Carney, Antonioli Agree That Carbon Credits are Vital for Getting the World to Net Zero
- Public Consultation: Updates to VCS Avoiding Unplanned Deforestation and Degradation (AUDD) Methodologies
- EOI Request: Collection of Jurisdictional Deforestation Data for Allocation to VCS Projects
- Public Consultation: Methodology for Improved Forest Management Through Targeted, Short-Term Harvest Deferral
- RFP: Development of a VCS Tool for Soil Sampling, Processing, and Analysis to Determine Soil Organic Carbon Stock Changes
Verra Staff at Events
- 25-27 April: City Week – Robin Rix, Chief Legal, Policy, and Markets Officer, will moderate a panel on ESG investing.
- 2-6 May: World Forestry Congress – David Antonioli, Chief Executive Officer, will speak about enabling and scaling up finance to halt deforestation.
- 17-19 May: Circularity22 – Sinclair Vincent, Director, Sustainable Development Innovation & Markets, will discuss achieving plastics and packaging goals.
- All upcoming events
- The Verra team had a strong presence at the North American Carbon World (NACW). David Antonioli, Chief Executive Officer, and Amy Schmid, Manager, Blue Carbon Innovation, spoke in sessions on Article 6, sustainable development goals, and blue carbon. Thanks to all who came to visit our exhibition booth!
If you’d like to invite a Verra team member to speak at your event, please contact email@example.com.
Photos: Nik Supatravanij (top), Nathalia Segato (bottom)