The VCS Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ (JNR) framework comprises the world’s first accounting and verification requirements for jurisdictional REDD+ programs and nested projects. It serves as a comprehensive carbon accounting and crediting platform to guide development of governmental REDD+ programs and help nest REDD+ projects and subnational jurisdictions within these programs.
Programs and nested projects verified under VCS JNR may issue VCUs to finance their efforts to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation and enhance sustainable use of the world’s forests. The JNR framework is rigorous enough to meet the needs of market-based mechanisms around the world, such as the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). It is also aligned with the Paris Agreement.
Rules and Requirements
Components and rules of the VCS Program, including those elements noted below, provide the basis for the JNR framework.
- VCS projects that are nested in JNR programs follow VCS Program methodologies.
- JNR programs and nested programs must be independently assessed by a third-party validation/verification body (VVB).
- Registration of JNR programs and nested REDD+ projects in the Verra Registry facilitates the transparent listing of information about such programs and projects. It also ensures their uniqueness as well as that of VCUs in the system
- Verra provides a Complaints and Appeals Policy that applies to all standards and programs managed by Verra.
JNR rules define the specific requirements and processes which all jurisdictional forest reference emission levels (FRELs) and jurisdictional programs must follow to be certified. JNR rules are set out in a suite of documents in the following categories: Requirements, Procedural, and Templates and Forms.
These documents are updated periodically. Please check this page to ensure you are using the latest version of a given document.
- Important Considerations Related to the Nesting of REDD+ Projects
- Options for Nesting REDD+ Projects / Español / Français / Português
- JNR/FCPF/UNFCCC Gap Assessment Report
Finally, note that the JNR Program rules have progressed through a number of iterations over time. Previous versions of the JNR Program rules which are no longer in use are archived on the Verra website.
Governance and Development
JNR Version 4 was released on 15 April 2021 after extensive consultations with experts around the world and close engagement with members of the JNR Advisory Group and JNR Stakeholder Group.